Looking for something? Try here!

Thursday 15 September 2011

My first ride on Harley Davidson

This weekend there's a special event - the Harley Davidson Open House event, where the new 2012 models will be launched, plus a chance to purchase merchandise, with proceeds from selected stock going to impoverished women around the world, in association with the United Nations World Food Programme.

One highlight however will be a bike parade, where motorcycle riders from across the UAE will meet to ride around part of Dubai. Now in previous events such as this, literally hundreds of bikers have turned up with rides in all shapes and sizes - which is an amazing sight to see, let alone the thunderous raw of the engines.


Now I was going to take the Honda Shadow, my little purple Ronnie bike, however it's battery is struggling and it feels a bit rickety these days, so I called and asked if I could hire a Harley for the ride - all booked out - GUTTED! However, because I'd RSVP'd to the event as media, I was told that they would be sorting a bike out for me to ride, a DYNA - COOL :-)


I suddenly realise that I haven't actually ridden a Harley, nor a bike that big before, so before the event, what am I going to practice on? Hmmm let me think, the boyfriend has a Harley V-rod. Actually it was his suggestion that I have a go on his bike first and let's face it I really didn't put up much of a fight. So this morning I get all kitted up and get read to take his bike out - he's obviously nervous, he's at work and he's trusting me not to a. crash his bike and b. hurt myself - please has a little faith.


I am a tiny person compared to my boyfriend, he's 6ft 3, I'm 5ft 5, so reaching the foot pedals on his bike meant that I had to scoot right forward in the seat, which meant for a not great riding position, but never mind, suck it up and get on with it. The minute you start one of these bikes, you just have to sit and listen to the engine sound 'bub bub bub bub' - beautiful. I roll back out the driveway and get ready to pull away, giving a nice few revs - sorry neighbours. Easy enough and I decide to go for a gentle ride around the small streets to get used to it. 


The V-rod is quite heavy on the handling and you really have to lean into the corners, because the huge fat rear wheel just wants to go straight, but it means it feels really stable and not likely to fall over at any given opportunity. After pootling about the small roads, I decide it's time to get out on the bigger roads and open her up and see what she can do.


HOLY COW! You lean a little on the throttle and your head gets slammed back and I feel like I'm going to shoot straight off the back - ok, maybe not quite so aggressive on the throttle then. I love it. Easy handling, responsive, power to get you out of trouble when you need it, there's everything to like and enjoy about this bike - apart from me having to be so far forward, which would do my back in if I had to ride it for a long period of time.


But now, I'm super excited about riding the DYNA at the weekend. Getting kitted up and going out for my first en-masse motorcycle experience. Bring it on! :-)


http://www.harley-davidson.ae/

No comments:

Post a Comment