Looking for something? Try here!

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Take care of the skin you're in - my experience with skin cancer. PT 1

I debated whether I should share my experience on this topic or not, but then I thought, if it encourages just one person to go and get themselves checked, that would be brilliant.

Our skin is the largest organ in, or in fact ON our body. It's an organ that takes the brunt of daily wear and tear and abuse, and we really need to take care of it.

I'm the typical fair skinned, freckly person, who burns in the sun, never tans and is covered from head to toe in moles. Yup, I'm moley, moley, MOLEY. I've always tried to take care in the sun, using high factor sunscreens, but like everyone, can be lax at times.

I've always been aware of the fact that I could be more prone to skin issues and problems with my moles, so over the years I've had check ups, especially on the large dark moles and had others taken off. This check up was no different, I went to see the Dermatologist at GMC, Jumeirah and had three sticky outy (that's the only term I have for them) moles taken off. I also had a few larger, darker moles checked, close up exams and photos taken of them. The doctor however, was not happy with one in particular. This particular mole on my thigh, which I have to say has always looked ragged and irregular, he decided had to come off for a biopsy. Now when I say 'come off' it's actually 'cut out'. Being flat and flush on the skin means it needs to be excised. The excision area was approximately 2cm in size, as you can see below.
The mole was sent off for a biopsy and I didn't think anything of it, as it's not the first time. Then I got a call a week later - could I come into the clinic? Sadly I was snowed with work, so the doctor called me back and I NEVER expected to hear him say 'It's a malignant melanoma'. To say that my knees nearly buckled underneath me is an understatement. Malignant Melanoma - that's skin cancer right? That's all that went through my head for the rest of the day.

So, for the next step I was referred to Dr IkramullahAl Nasir at the Dermacare Skin Centre. He went through the biopsy report and told me that we now need to excise a larger area, to determine whether that was it, or whether the melanoma has spread further outward and or downward into the tissue. When he drew out the area he would like to cut out of my thigh, I wanted to cry. Three to four centimetres might not seem a lot, but when it's drawn in a big eye shape on your leg, it certainly seems a lot. 

Ok, that step decided on, the Dr also told me that because I have so many moles and already have one melanoma, that I can't take any chances and really need to be 'mole mapped'. This basically involves digital photography to track any subtle changes in moles as you go for check ups. Given how moley I am, this could take hours.

That is the stage I'm at now. I will have the next excision and mole mapping done within the next week and wait for those results to come back.

Living in a country like the UAE, where the sun beats down pretty much 365 days a year, it's important to be aware of how to take care of your skin, use good skin protection when out and about - I wear factor 100 every day on my face and hands. Have good sun sense and if you have moles, make sure that you check them regularly and be aware of any changes in size, texture, and colour.

I'm happy that I took precautions, had regular check-ups and by the looks of it, caught this one early when something can be done about it. Sadly, other people are not so lucky and it is crucial to be vigilant. Malignant Melanoma can be one of the most aggressive forms of cancer that there is, so early diagnosis and treatment is imperative.

I am now well aware, that because I have one, the chances of me developing more are high, so this is now a life-long issue for me. Please PLEASE, have regular check ups and prevention is better than having to deal with something once it has developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment